Discover a breath of fresh air in Isère...
France's third-biggest mountain destination, Isère is a breath of fresh air! Perfect for those looking to relax, recharge and switch off from the rest of the world while surrounded by nature.
A winter sports playground with a wealth of natural assets, Isère has it all; stunning high peaks, glaciers, forested valleys, three natural parks (Vercors, Chartreuse, and the Ecrins National Park), wide-open spaces, world-renowned resorts plus pretty traditional villages.
Peak Retreats features bustling Les 2 Alpes, family-friendly Vaujany, Oz en Oisans and Auris en Oisans, great value Chamrousse, hidden gem villages like Villard de Lans/Corrençon, and Les 7 Laux - whose slopes are highly-rated by locals - and also internationally renowned Alpe d'Huez, available through our sister company Ski Collection. These resorts offer a wide variety of skiing and accommodation to suit all party types and budgets.
Getting There: An Ideal Location
Lying at the gateway to the Alps, Grenoble Alpes Isère Airport boasts an ideal location and superb transport links to discover the diversity of Isère. Direct transfers to the main resorts can have you donning your skis in as little as two hours from touch down. Take a direct private transfer (which we can pre-book) or hire a car from Grenoble (also pre-bookable). Flights can be booked independently (we don't book these) through major airlines such as easyJet, Jet2, British Airways, etc - find out more about flying to the Alps.
Isère Ski Resorts
There are 23 resorts in Isère. Discover eight of our favourites below. All of these resorts have been awarded the prestigious Famille Plus Montagne quality hallmark by the French Ministry of Tourism, meaning the whole family can enjoy a special welcome and top-notch facilities specifically geared to families, and activities that the whole family can enjoy together.
Just a 1-hour drive from Grenoble (75km), Les 2 Alpes is surrounded by dramatic mountain scenery and has slopes on both sides of the resort so you’re never far from a lift.
- High-altitude skiing with an excellent snow record.
- Home to one of the largest glaciers in the Alps and is Europe’s largest summer skiing area.
- It has above-average sunshine conditions.
- It’s excellent for all standards of skiing with massive off-piste potential.
- Great après ski with plenty of bars, restaurants, and nightclubs.
- Previous winner of European Resort of the Year at the World Snow Awards.
- Fantastic variety of accommodation to suit all budgets.
Vaujany is a very pretty, charming, and peaceful mountain village resort built on a sunny slope in an area where a micro-climate ensures optimum sunshine conditions. Vaujany has first-class skiing for all with great snow conditions and is a fantastic resort for children.
- There’s first-class skiing for all, with excellent snow conditions.
- Ski in the same area as Alpe d'Huez.
- It’s one of the best resorts for children according to our team!
- The Southern Alps climate means above average sunshine.
- The 160 person cable car transports you to 2,800m in just 15 minutes.
- Aside from the skiing, there are two fantastic free museums, a magnificent Leisure Centre with a swimming pool, bowling, spa, and indoor climbing wall.
- There is a lot going on in the village with storytelling evenings, carriage rides, and disco parties for the whole family.
In a great accessible location just 35 minutes from Grenoble Airport, Les 7 Laux is made up of three lift-linked villages and has access to 120km of piste in the Belledonne mountains.
- A very short transfer.
- Home to one of the best-rated snow parks in France.
- A good size Nordic park, with marked slopes for Nordic skiing and snowshoeing.
- Treelined skiing below 2000m.
- Top height of 2400m and 120kms of piste.
- Superior self-catered accommodation with indoor pool, hammam, sauna, and hot tub.
Just 30km from Grenoble, Chamrousse features a varied alpine ski area set among attractive fir trees. It's a popular resort for young families or families taking to the mountains for the first time.
- Easily accessible - it's one of the most accessible ski resorts in the Alps.
- Attractive village with stunning 360° panoramic views of the surrounding mountains and Grenoble.
- It extends on two levels: Chamrousse 1650 (Recoin) and Chamrousse 1750-1700 (Roche Béranger - Bachat-Bouloud) linked by ski slopes and fantastic forest tracks.
- Try the fun Family park and enjoy thrills together in a safe environment, or for youngsters growing in skills and confidence, the Kids' Park has a jump area, an obstacle course, and a parallel slalom!
- This resort has great ski history - it hosted the Winter Olympic Games in 1968 when the famous French skier Jean-Claude Killy won three gold medals.
- Quality family time isn’t confined to the piste, there’s also sunset sledding, dog-sledging trips, and snowmobiling too.
Villard de Lans is connected to Corrençon. These two lift-linked villages form the Espace Villard-Corrençon ski area, the largest and highest Alpine area of the Vercors. Villard de Lans is a lively village with a large market centre including lovely mountain restaurants, bars, and shops.
- Traditional French ski resort.
- Year-round working village resort with a market.
- Great ski resort for families and mixed ability groups with 125km of varied level piste.
- Near Corrençon en Vercors, which stands against the backdrop of the largest Natural Reserve in France.
- The area offers an array of celebrated and protected local produce; Grenoble walnuts, Picodon cheese (goats' cheese), the Clairette de Die, and the Châtillons en Diois wines, Fario trout, and Bleu du Vercors-Sassenage cheese.
- Visit the dairy co-operative to see how the Bleu du Vercors-Sassenage cheese has been produced for over 600 years!
Known around the world thanks to the Tour de France, Alpe d'Huez has been growing since the 1930s on a large sunny plateau (1860m) above the tree line. Alpe d'Huez is bookable through our sister company Ski Collection.
- A friendly ski resort with a lively atmosphere.
- On average, Alpe d’Huez is lucky enough to get an impressive 300 days of sunshine per year!
- Snow cover guaranteed the whole season thanks to 1000 snow cannons.
- The 250km of piste skiing is spread over a huge area, providing endless opportunities and terrain for all levels of skier and boarder (including an incredible vertical drop!).
- Excellent for beginners who can access the nursery slopes without a lift pass, and families will love the two new fun play skiing areas.
- Ski the famous 16km Sarenne black slope, the longest in Europe.
- Exceptional off-piste area.
- Plenty of events designed for children such as carnival parades, lantern processions, fireworks, concerts, face-painting, and ice sculptures.
- Home to the new Camp de Base food destination, serving street food and putting local produce in the spotlight.
Auris-en-Oisans is located on the edge of the Ecrins National Park at 1600m. From Auris, there is a spectacular panoramic view of la Meije mountain range and the national Parc des Ecrins peaks. Another great value resort, linked to the same impressive ski area as Alpe d'Huez.
- 80% of the residences give easy and direct access to slopes.
- Guaranteed season-long skiing due to being lift-linked to Alpe d'Huez and the rest of the Grand Domaine.
- Easy access to Alpe d'Huez via chairlift which takes 10 minutes.
- Just 90 minutes from Grenoble airport.
- Ideal small, quiet, and family-friendly resort.
- Switch off and enjoy the simple beauty of pale winter sunlight streaming through snow-laden branches on a winter walk through one of Europe’s highest spruce forests on the new marked trail.
Located between the Belledonne and Grandes Rousses mountain ranges, Oz-en-Oisans is set amidst fir trees just above the village of Oz. It's an easy 45 minute drive from Grenoble and perfect for families and those seeking a peaceful base.
- Easy access from Grenoble.
- Part of the huge snow-sure ski area and linked to Alpe d'Huez.
- Convenient location - all amenities are a short walk away.
- Small and friendly resort for families.
- The resort provides access to 240 km of slopes at altitudes of between 1100m and 3330m.
- Experts can take a series of black and red runs from the Pic Blanc at 3300m down to Vaujany village where you can catch the gondolas back up to get back to Oz.
- Ski back to your residence on a choice of gentle blue or red runs.
- There is a whole host of activities on offer in Oz-en-Oisans including ice climbing! Discover the ephemeral world of ice in the Grandes Rousses mountain range with the mountain guides.
Isère has all the elements for a ski holiday that will leave you refreshed, inspired, and recharged in unspoiled surroundings, a perfect place to unwind and there's a whole host of activities to help you do this. Try snow yoga at 2000m altitude while enjoying the fresh mountain air combined with unforgettable panoramic views while meditating to harmonise your body and mind, great for reducing stress and improving flexibility and balance. For something completely different, take a 2.5-hour snowshoe hike to the wintering home of Chamois to learn more about the distinctive mountain animal and how it adapts to the mountain territories.
In the midst of the mountains, nowhere could be more natural...