Why Areches Beaufort village?
Arêches is an authentic, traditional village with plenty of car parking. Arêches is a year-round working village and has independent local businesses which include sport shops and a few restaurants in the main street – everything you’re likely to need during your stay. However, if you are looking for more then the nearby town of Beaufort has a lovely historic centre plus a larger choice of shops and restaurants.
Located in the Haute-Savoie, Areches-Beaufort has a long heritage; a village resort with 3000 inhabitants year-round, whose history has stood up to time and change while remaining typical and artisanal. This is an ideal destination for spending time with family and friends and for sampling, of course, the regional speciality - Beaufort cheese, which is matured for over 6 months in a carefully guarded tradition.
There are mountain restaurants for enjoying the countryside and culinary specialities in the villages.
Top summer activities to experience in Areches Beaufort
Please note Peak Retreats do not book any activities and most activities are payable.
The Dairy cooperative of Beaufortain
Beaufort is a mountain cheese, like gruyère, produced in the alpine regions of Savoie - Beaufortain. Visit the milk cooperative, cheese dairy and cellars, exhibition and a new sensory visit... You can watch the Beaufort being made and taste it, and buy it!
Arêches Beaufort offers an immense playing field for mountain bikers. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced biker, an Endurance cyclist or prefer cross country, whether you like the technique or simply enjoy the countryside, it is all at Areches Beaufort. More than 225km of marked circuits that lead from forest to peaks, mountain passes and lakes, mountain pastures etc. There are restaurants and bars near departure points and ascents can be made via chairlift. Hire and guides are available.
Mountain biking at Arêches-Beaufort:
- Cross-Country terrain
- 16 XC itineraries for 225 km of marked trails
- 2 departure bases - at Arêches, Place Capitaine Bulle and at Beaufort, close the Hôtel de la Roche
- 2 washing areas - at Arêches, behind the church and at Beaufort, at the parking lot across from the Milk Cooperative
- An XC FFC MBT trail guide on sale in the Tourist Offices
- An Enduro area covering the entire Beaufortain area
- A “VTT en Beaufortain” trail guide presenting a selection of itineraries
- A shuttle service linking the Enduro itinerary departure points so you can design your own experience
Discover The wonderful Roc du Vent Via Ferrata.
Walking/hiking or mountain biking
Discover new panoramas, unusual paths, at your own pace.
Discover canyoning in secret spots in the middle of the spectacular river. If you are a novice at canyoning, it will be a wonderful experience.
Adventure course in trees
In a privileged setting, next to Marcôt leisure centre, Tyrol Aventure proposes to have fun discovering the natural environment in the trees.
Daily welcome to the farm where you can find goats and some other animals like lamas, donkeys, buffalos, pigs, rabbits and farmyards animals.
At your own pace, walking/trotting/galloping, riding high against a backdrop of stunning panoramas and communing with your animal. Sign up for beginner’s lessons or a guided mountain tour.
Outdoor heated pool
In the summer, take advantage of the warm weather to take a dip in the pool at Beaufort. Outdoor heated pool with a slide where the little ones can enjoy themselves safely under the watchful eye of the lifeguards.
Ride the trails in complete freedom with the Trottin’herbe, which looks like a scooter but is designed for steep slopes…Nothing will stop you from enjoying yourself on the resort’s trails!
Please note: All the above is for information only. For the most up-to-date activities including prices, please visit the resort tourist office website. All activities will be in local currency (€ Euros) and are bookable and payable locally in resort or directly online/by phone with the tourist office or activity supplier.
Areches Beaufort Tourist Office
Areches Beaufort après-ski, restaurants & bars
Various restaurants, including mountain restaurants, and a couple of bars.
Areches Beaufort amenities
Sports shops, bakery/butchers, gift shop, tabac, dairy co-operative, tourist office, post office, hairdresser, mini-market, pharmacy (Beaufort), laundrette.
Route du Grand-Mont
Vival Casino Michiardi Josiane
Route du Grand-Mont
Cashpoint in Areches is under the Tourist office.
There are two petrol stations:
- Areches - Munier Bernard (Garage des Carroz)
- Beaufort - Sarl Garage Avocat (La Marsellaz)
Getting to Areches Beaufort, France
Driving distance from Calais to Areches Beaufort is 578 miles (approx 8hrs30). Autoroute A43: exit at Albertville and follow D925 direction Beaufort. Turn right in the centre of Beaufort for Arêches and the ski area. Listen to Autoroute FM (107.7 FM) for traffic news in English.
Take the Eurostar from London St Pancras (or Ashford, Kent). See our train services page for more information. The nearest train station to Areches Beaufort is Albertville.
4 international airports nearby, however we don't book flights.
Chambery Savoie Mont Blanc Airport to Areches Beaufort is roughly 50 miles, approximately 1hr 15 mins
Lyon-Saint Exupery Airport to Areches Beaufort is roughly 96 miles, approximately 1hr 45 mins
Geneva Airport to Areches Beaufort is roughly 95 miles, approximately 1hr 40 mins
Grenoble Alpes Isere Airport to Areches Beaufort is roughly 100 miles, approximately 1hr 45 mins
Private taxi transfers:
Private taxi transfers from airports and train stations are pre-bookable with Peak Retreats. See our airport & station transfers page for more information.
Peak Retreats can arrange very competitive car hire at all airports, train stations and other town locations. See our car hire page for more information.
Areches-Beaufort News & Events 2022
- Beaufort Market Every Wednesday all-year-round
- 7th EDF Pierra Menta summer Arêches-Beaufort 1st-3rd July 2022 The most beautiful, the most difficult and the most demanding team trail race! This mountain running race stands out for its technicality as one of the benchmarks for running.
- 6th Alpine Geofestival Around Mont Blanc 19th July-2nd August 2022 The Beaufortain Géo Découvertes Association and all its partners are offering you a new “Journey to the center of stone” around Mont-Blanc in its southern part.
- Trail de la Frison-Roche-21st edition 6th August 2022 A weekend trail on the Beaufortain trails, with 5 routes depending on your level and your motivation!
- 57th Areches Follore Festival 14th August 2022 Life-size reconstruction of scenes from life in the past. This is an opportunity for Beaufortains and holidaymakers to meet and discover the traditions and trades of yesteryear. The party ends with a ball.