It is a charming, traditional village that is a world away from the hustle and bustle of modern life and yet it's one of the closest resorts to the Channel and only an hour from Geneva.
Morzine is an unspoilt, historic resort dating back to the 16th Century, with its own Gallic identity, yet there’s a wide choice of restaurants and bars for much livelier and varied evening entertainment than most resorts offer.
With its Savoyard chalet-style buildings, wooden facades, carved balconies and slate-covered roofs, Morzine offers more than 30 bistros and restaurants, including some of the best in the whole region. There are three discos, two cinemas and many bars. The swimming centre in Morzine offers 2 pools (1 Olympic size), a large paddling pool with water games and water jets plus various other sports activities for all ages. The indoor ice-skating arena hosts the world’s top skaters but is also open for public skating and has a panoramic bar-restaurant. In addition a fitness centre with weights room, sauna and hot tub, has been installed in the Sports Centre.
Top summer activities to experience in Morzine
Please note Peak Retreats do not book any activities and most activities are payable. For more information about pricing and availability, please contact the Morzine Tourist Office on 00 33 4 50 74 72 72 or visit www.morzine.com
Portes du Soleil Multipass
The Portes du Soleil Multipass offers unlimited access to more than 54 activities, available at the 12 resorts of the Portes du Soleil area. For all holidaymakers staying at a participating accommodation provider, the Multipass provides unlimited access to numerous activities and a 20% discount at various partners throughout the Portes du Soleil area for only 2€ per day.
For 2 € per day, the Multipass gives access to:
• 23 ski lifts for pedestrians
• 4 swimming pools and 2public lakes
• 3 mini-golf pitches
• 3 ice rinks
• Museums and cultural centres: Les Gets Mechanical Music Museum, Vallée d’Aulps Abbey Discovery Centre, Abondance abbey, Maison du Val d’Abondance, Chatel’s Smuggling Exhibition Centre, the Troistorrents’ Moulins de la Tine
• 9 tennis courts
• Inter-resort shuttles
Access to these facilities is unlimited.
A supplementary hands-free card purchase is compulsory and non-refundable, price 1€. This card can be used again.
A wide range of hikes available:
• ½ Day themed treks–wildlife, plant-life, views, snacks in mountain farms.
• Family day-hikes with a foodie touch (forests, mountain pastures, lakes rivers...) followed by a meal cooked with mountain plants and cheeses.
• Day treks: Roc d’Enfer, Cornettes de Bise, Dent d’Oche, Pointe d’Ireuse, Pointe de Tréchauffé, les Dents Blanches.
All activities are accompanied by qualified hiking guides.
“Alpi’Rando et VTT”
Hervé Le Sobre
Morzine Nordic Walking
A fast waking technique using specially adapted sticks 1-2 hour walks, with a gymnastic warm up before hand and stretching afterwards.
This activity is supervised by mountain specialists.
“Alpi’Rando et VTT”
Hervé Le Sobre
Mountain Biking in Morzine
Morzine is in the heart of one of the world’s biggest MTB areas, the Portes du Soleil:
• 12 linked resorts offering a network of 24 chairlifts and cable cars, all equipped to take mountain bikes.
• An 80km circuit on the French/Swiss border.
• Dozens of downhill runs, all levels.
• Bike-handling schools, recreational MTB runs and beginner area.
As Morzine is in a valley, most of the Portes du Soleil’s cycle tracks that start at the top of cable cars and chairlifts lead back down into Morzine.
In the village itself, there are all the necessary services, specialist bike shops with qualified staff, and great après-MTB
Mountain Bike Rental
All kinds of bikes and equipment for rent, for all styles of riding: trekking, free-ride or downhill.
A map of a mountain bike and electric mountain bike trails is available for free at the Tourist Office.
Avoriaz lift network for mountain bikers and paragliders
Valid for the following mountain lifts: Super Morzine bubble lift, Lindarets chairlift, Mossettes chairlift, Zore chairlift, Chaux Fleurie chairlift, 3S Prodains Express.
Morzine Trekking with Donkeys
Morzine-Avoriaz guides can take you out for a half-day in the wonderful Nyon canyon, situated 2kms from Morzine’s centre. Swim down mountain rivers and through gullies, specially kitted out for this activity (abseiling, jumps, natural toboggans, etc).
Equipment and wetsuit provided. Activity organised and accompanied by mountain guides.
Morzine Aqua Hike
• River hiking supervised by a qualified mountain guide. No specific equipment or gear is required (just sports clothes and shoes).
• Activity by half-day.
Morzine White water activities
A wide choice of sports:
• Rafting (down a river in an inflatable canoe with a team of people paddling)
• Hot-dogging (same as rafting but on a smaller scale)
• Hydrospeed (down a river with floating equipment and flippers)
• Kayaking (down a river or on lake Geneva in a solid craft)
Activities organised and accompanied by professionals.
Morzine Via Ferrata
Climb/scramble around a specially equipped cliff (ladders, steps, cables, abseiling etc).
Activity organised and accompanied by mountain guides.
Underground caves exploration.
State qualified guides supervising.
Morzine summer sledge
Sledges on wheels along 1 of 2 runs that vary in length and difficulty, both starting from the top of the Crusaz chairlift.
• Introduction tandem flight.
• Beginners sessions.
• Small-sail lessons.
• Lessons and improvement courses for all levels.
• Tandem discovery flights
Morzine Downhill All Terrain Scooter
• Ride the ATS downhill, and use the chairlifts to climb back up.
• Accessible from 12 years old with no particular training required.
• Supervised by a qualified instructor.
• Activity per ½ day (scooter and gear included).
Horse-drawn sleigh rides in Morzine
There is a large choice of trips around Morzine: a tour of the old town, the different hamlets, ride up to Lake Montriond, etc.
Start from the Tourist Office square or from your holiday home.
Morzine Parc de Dereches
This park is accessible by a lift from the centre of Morzine or with the little tourist train that runs from the Tourist Office, passing by the Town Hall.
Below activities in the park:
Morzine Indiana Parc (adventure park)
Indiana’Ventures Dérêches Park
• P’tit Kid from 2 years old, under parents’ supervision
• Indiana Kid: 2 adventure trails for children with continuous safety line
• Indiana Parc: 5 adventure trails of increasing difficulty, accessible for children over 1m35 tall
Available at the park - Disc-golf - A fun activity inspired by golf.
The club and ball are replaced by a Frisbee thrown toward a bin. Reach 9 bins on the course in a minimum of throws.
They also arrange paintball and laser quest games at the park.
• Sport swimming pool 25 x 15 m (heated to 27°).
• Learning pool 125 m2 (heated to 28,5°).
• Paddling pool 50 m2 (heated to 31°).
• Balneo area: 160 m2 with 3 saunas, 2 hammams.
• An Olympic sports pool 50 m x 21 m.
• 1 paddling pool with water games.
• Giant slide (80 m).
• Sun terraces and sun-loungers.
• Bouncy castle.
At the pools, they can arrange beginners scuba-diving: first dives and beginners courses (PADI).
• 9 tennis courts, 2 of which are clay courts.
• 2 training walls.
Tennis courses and private lessons, for both children and adults.
A fitness circuit with 20 training obstacles, in the Dérêches Park.
Activities accompanied by qualified instructors.
For adults and children: Riding lessons for all levels.
A specially adapted area with ramps and jumps (no access for bikes or BMX).
Indoor ice-rink. Skate rental.
• 9 holes, par 36 golf course, 2,930m long.
• Facilities: green-fees, practice area, equipment rental, golf academy (private lessons, training sessions, a round with a pro, introduction to golf).
Beginner or expert, the guides of Morzine propose to accompany you, at your own pace, to the discovery of the climbing sites of the region of Chablais or the Massif du Mont-Blanc.
Following on from steady growth, the company has a fleet of 30 helicopters most of which are from the Eurocopter line. Mont-Blanc Hélicoptère is now considered one of the major players in the French helicopter airline sector. Helicopters are our business, our passion, and first and foremost must remain an enjoyment for our passengers.
Multitude of restaurants, shops and bars. Cinema, musical evenings, nightclubs.
Hairdresser, spa, florist, garage, doctors, pharmacy, post office, tobacconist, bank
Driving distance from Calais to Morzine is 538 miles or 7hrs30
A6 motorway via Macon followed by the A40 motorway towards Geneva. Exit 19 at Cluses and follow signs
From Northern Europe, access via the Swiss motorway towards Martigny. Exit Portes du Soleil, 20 minutes from Chatel.
Thonon-les-Bains SNCF railway station (TGV – high speed train) / Transfer by shuttle, 40kms (approx cost 10€). Monthey railway station (Switzerland) / Transfer by taxi, 25kms.
Geneva Airport is 90km from Morzine (1 hour) www.gva.ch/en
Chambery Airport is 123 km from Morzine (1 ½ hours) www.chambery.aeroport.fr
Grenoble Airport is 210km from Morzine (2 hours)www.grenoble.aeroport.fr
Lyon Saint-Exupery is 211km from Morzine (2 ½ hours) www.lyon.aeroport.fr
Getting around Morzine
Free shuttles in Morzine
Free shuttle buses and a little train will offer you free transport within the village during the winter season to help you get around easily.
Pre-book your taxi transfer with Peak Retreats
From Geneva Airport to Morzine – from £81 per person return based on 4 people sharing.
For all other transfer prices click here.
Morzine News and Events 2021/22
- Morzine and Avoriaz have worked together for over a year on projects that work towards the Flocon Vert award. As of September 2021 these efforts were awarded with the Flocon Vert certification.
- Pass'Portes du Soleil 24th-26th June 2022 The Pass'Portes is a major MTB event taking place in the Portes du Soleil resorts spanning France and Switzerland. An event of international stature packed with plenty of impressive and memorable moments and shared sporting memories with plenty of laughs...!
- Spartan Race 2nd-3rd July 2022 From crossing high-altitude lakes, climbing dizzying slopes, jumping into natural waterfalls or even swimming in white water in rivers, this crazy obstacle course, reserved for experts, requires you to reach deep into your resources! Exceeding your limits is guaranteed.
- Tour de France 11th-12th July 2022 Rest day on the 11th of July in Morzine followed by a stage starting from Morzine on the 12th of July 2022.
- Harley Days 14th-17th July 2022 Morzine hosts the largest gathering of Riders to the sound of an exceptional Rock poster organized by HOG France. The event will take place in the heart of the village with many entertainment centres!
- Morzine Nature and Well-being 18th-22nd July 2022 Numerous workshops are offered throughout the week including fitness classes, Pilates, Yoga, hikes, sophrology, well-being workshops and many more.
- Nature and Plants Fair 23rd-24th July 2022 A unique event, one of its kind, that allows you to reconnect with nature and learn new ways to take care of yourself.
- Morzine Beach 3rd-4th August 2022 The beach comes to Morzine for two unforgettable days with your family! Between sandpits, cooking workshops, creative workshops, face painting, foot billiards and zumba, Morzine has everything you need for a beach day in the mountains. No need to go to the sea to play with your feet in the sand!
- Hauts Forts Trail Race 6th August 2022 The Hauts-Forts trail links Morzine to Avoriaz at an altitude of 1800m and takes you through the most beautiful panoramas of the Portes du Soleil.
- Triathlon Morzine 27th August 2022 A real mountain triathlon that offers everyone, whatever their level, the opportunity to participate in events in complete safety.