Ski Holidays with Dogs
Dogs – going to France on a temporary basis
Since 1st October 2004, dogs have to be accompanied by a passport to move between EU member states. Please note if you have a Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) certificate issued prior to October 2004 this can still be used for dogs to enter the UK until its ‘Valid until’ date. After this time the owner should obtain an EU pet passport.
To travel from the UK to France with your dog and then return back to the UK there are some requirements that you must meet to avoid quarantine. The dog must be micro chipped, vaccinated and blood tests taken and it must be in this order.
1. Dog needs to be micro chipped and it is recommended to meet ISO Standard 11784 or Annex A to ISO Standard 11785 or a reader needs to taken with you to read any other type. Identification by tattoo is not accepted.
2. A valid vaccination against rabies (whether first or a booster). Dogs must be at least 3 months old.
3. Then a blood test will be taken to ensure the vaccine has given sufficient protection. Once a satisfactory blood test has been given there then is a 6 month wait before the dog will be able to enter the UK. It’s therefore advised to leave at least 9 months before travel to start the PETS travel scheme process (chip & vaccinate).
4. Dog needs to be issued with an EU pet passport.
5. Treatment for parasites between 24 and 48 hours before your pet is checked-in to travel back to UK. These details will be recorded on an official certificate or in the pet passport which you will need to show before travelling back on your crossing. This means finding a vet in France – see the French Yellow Pages http://www.pagesjaunes.fr (type ‘Vétérinaire’ in Quoi or Qui box and your destination in France e.g Chamonix in Ou box. If you tick the box saying ‘a coté de’ it will find all vets near to your destination as not every resort will have a vet. You may need to travel to another resort or area). You will need to book early to make sure you have an appointment ready for your return trip.
6. Check that your dog is not a banned breed in France.
If your dog is due a booster make sure you organise it on time. One day late and you have to start the process all over again (including the 6 month wait).
For further information on taking your dog abroad, see the gov.uk 'taking your pet abroad' guide.
PETS Helpline – 0870 241 1710 (Mon-Fri 08.30-5.30)
Ski Accommodation for Dogs
Here are our selection of dog-friendly accommodations we feature in the French Alps that permit dogs. Please see individual accommodation pages for pricing.
If you are travelling with one dog :
|Aussois||Les Flocons d'Argent|
|Bourg-Saint-Maurice||Le Coeur d'Or|
|Albiez||Hameau des Aiguilles|
|Peisey-Vallandry||Oree des Cimes - Oree des Neiges|
|Sainte-Foy Tarentaise||Les Fermes de Sainte-Foy|
|Chamrousse||Ecrin des Neiges|
|Chatel||Les Chalets d'Angele|
|Combloux||La Grande Cordee|
|La Norma||Les Balcons d'Anais|
|La Rosiere||Les Cimes Blanches - Lodge Hemara|
|Le Grand Bornand||Le Village de Lessy|
|Les Carroz||Les Chalets de Jouvence|
|Montgenevre||Chalets des Dolines - Le Napoleon|
|Samoens||Chalets de Layssia - La Reine des Pres|
|Saint-Martin de Belleville||Les Chalets du Gypse|
|Tignes 1800||Kalinda Village|
|Val Cenis||Les Chalets du Flambeau - Les Balcons de Val Cenis Village|
|Valmorel||La Grange aux Fees|
If you are travelling with more than one dog :
|Chatel||Les Fermes de Chatel - Grand Lodge|
|Chamonix||La Ginabelle - Les Balcons du Savoy|
|La Tania||Le Chritinia - Le Britania|
|La Clusaz||Grandes Alpes|
|La Toussuire||Les Hauts de Comborciere - Balcons des Aiguilles - Ecrin des Sybelles|
|Les Deux Alpes||Le Cortina - L'Alba - Goleon Val Ecrin|
|Les Gets||Les Fermes Emiguy|
|Oz-en-Oisans||Chalets des Neiges|
|Saint-Gervais||Le Grand Panorama - Les Fermes de Saint-Gervais|
|Serre-Chevalier||Le Hameau du Rocher Blanc|
|Valloire||Les Chalets du Galibier|
|Vaujany||La Cascade - Le Crystal blanc|
Travelling with Dogs
|Information to know|
Stay in car during crossing.
You will need to visit the Pet Control booth in Calais before check-in lanes so they can carry out checks.
Stay in car during crossing on car deck.
Stay in car. Check-in at least 60minutes before return.
Please call our friendly team for pricing.
For further information on ski holidays with dogs, please contact our reservations team on 0844 576 0170 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.