Self Drive Ski Holidays: Pre-book your Eurotunnel or Ferry travel
Peak Retreats is a ski drive specialist and we think driving to the French Alps is the best option, particularly for families seeking flexibility and value for money.
Here you will find out the benefits of a ski drive holiday and tips for driving to the mountains plus information and prices for the ferry and Eurotunnel services we offer.
Why Drive to the French Alps?
Here are just some of the reasons to choose a self-drive ski holiday:
- Flexibility - be in control of your own timetable
- Take as much luggage as you need (including sport and leisure equipment at no extra charge). This is also ideal for families that tend to come with a lot more stuff!
- Stop en route as and when you choose. Make the journey a part of the holiday, maybe visit a little vineyard on the way through Burgundy?
- Make use of the car while in resort - take day trips to areas of interest while maximising your leisure time in resort
- A self-drive ski holiday offers excellent value for money - here at Peak Retreats we have negotiated great prices with the ferry coompanies and Eurotunnel so you can rest-assured that you are getting exceptional value
For independent travellers we can offer accommodation-only bookings. Most of our resorts are close to the international airports of Geneva, Grenoble, Chambery, Lyon or Turin (see our airlines and car hire pages).
Tips for a Self-Drive Ski Holiday
Here's some of our top tips for ensuring you get the most out of your France ski holiday.
- Choose a resort closest to Calais - for the shortest journey possible, pick an area closer to Calais such as the Grand Massif (Samoens, Morillon) or Le Grand Bornand.
- Make sure you make yourself familiar with the laws for driving in France before you travel. There is some compulsory equipment such as warning triangle, GB sticker and headlight adjustments. Full details can be obtained from the AA Touring Tips.
- Prepare for changeable mountain conditions - it's worth checking the weather forecast in advance but also be aware that the weather can be extremely changeable in the mountains so make sure you pack plenty of warm clothing with you. You will also require snow chains or snow tyres. Please see details at the bottom of this page for buying or hiring snow chains.
- Save money on your grocery shopping by heading to the hypermarket before getting to your resort. Great rates on fuel can also be had at supermarkets in France.
- To save time and money, make use of the Liber-t automatic toll payment service. All you have to do is register online in advance to order your tag and then you won't be required to stop at every peage (toll booth) - plus you get access to better rates!
All our inclusive ski holidays include a return Standard Eurotunnel crossing for a car with a FREE FlexiPlus upgrade on selected dates, giving you not only the complete flexibility to travel on the next available departure (whenever you turn-up) but also dedicated check-in lane, priority boarding and use of the lounge with complimentary facilities (cars below 1.85m high only).
Ski drive has never been so easy! Some supplements for peak dates apply.
FlexiPlus fares cost significantly more when booked direct with Eurotunnel, so we are extremely pleased to have negotiated such a great deal for you.
Eurotunnel crossing time is just 35 minutes from Folkestone to Calais, with up to 4 departures per hour. IMPORTANT: LPG vehicles not permitted
The benefits of Eurotunnel FlexiPlus for your ski holiday
Relax and enjoy your journey without having to worry about arriving on time for your departure. Leave from home or from the ski resort when you are ready and avoid the stress of having to meet a particular departure. During peak travel times, you are kindly requested to respect your reserved departure time as close as possible. The Eurotunnel service is very popular during these peak travel times.
Enjoy use of exclusive Check-in booths/lane where you will be offered the next available departure (3 per hour during most of the day).
Once you are in your designated FlexiPlus lane, you will be boarded on the next shuttle ahead of other passengers. Remember, first on, first off and onwards to your destination.
Designated parking place
If stopping off for a bite to eat or last minute shopping then you are entitled to park in the designated spaces close to the Passenger Terminal Buildings.
The FlexiPlus lounge
The lounge opens 06.00 to 22.00 daily (local time), offering you complimentary non-alcoholic drinks and light meal.
Relax in comfortable surroundings with a free newspaper (one per car) or take advantage of telephone/fax/internet access facilities. There is a small shop for any last minute purchases. On your return enjoy the French FlexiPlus lounge; shop for alcohol and confectionery at French prices. Due to safety regulations of the FlexiPlus lounge parking area, vehicles over 1.85m high are not permitted to access the lounge facilities in the UK or France (but you can still benefit from all the other perks).
Outside opening hours the Passenger Terminal building, situated before border controls in the UK and after border controls in France, will be happy to welcome you. However complimentary refreshments and newspapers will not be available.
Peak Retreats can also book P&O ferries from Hull-Zeebrugge/Rotterdam if you live in the North of the country or the ferries from the south coast across to France. Choice of Dover-Calais with P&O and Portsmouth-Caen, Poole/Portsmouth-Cherbourg, Portsmouth-St-Malo, Plymouth-Roscoff with Brittany Ferries.
Eurotunnel & Ferry Prices Winter 2015/16
Travel supplements and reductions - please note the below are EACH WAY
(prices not visible on smartphones, please view on a tablet, laptop/PC)
Car + 8 Passengers
£20 travel supplement applies
|£99 Flexiplus supplement applies
OUT on 09-10-11-12-13/02 &
IN on 19-20-11-22-23/02
35 mins crossing time - up to 3 departures/hour
|FREE FlexiPlus Upgrade for all bookings except on selected dates above. FlexiPlus includes dedicated Priority Check-In, use of Exclusive Lounge with complimentary facilities* and priority boarding. *only available to cars up to 1.85m high|
P&O Ferries 15/16
|Off-peak - deduct £53||Peak - deduct £28
Hull-Zeebrugge/Rotterdam 18,19 Dec; 24,25,26 Mar; 1,2,8,9,10 Apr & Zeebrugge/Rotterdam-Hull 18,19 Dec, 24,25,26 Mar, 1,2,8,9,10 April 2016
|Extra passenger - £7|
Car + 9 Passengers
|Off-peak - deduct £53||Peak - deduct £18
18,19 Dec; 25,26 Mar; 1,2 Apr & Calais-Dover 28 Mar, 2,3,4,9,10 April 2016
|Extra passenger - £7|
|Pre-bookable: Breakfast & Dinner, save up to 10% on board price by pre-booking. £24 for adults & £12 per child
Hull route - length per M above 6m and height per M above 2.4m - £28
Why P&O Hull-Zeebrugge/Rotterdam? Save miles in the UK and arrive first thing in the morning fresh and ready for your journey in either Zeebrugge or Rotterdam. Zeebrugge to the Alps is roughly the same distance as Calais whilst Rotterdam adds about 70 miles. The P&O ferry terminal is in Europoort which lies approximately 24 miles from the centre of Rotterdam.
Crossing times Hull routes - 10-13 hours with 1 overnight crossing per day. Dover route - 90 mins, crossings every 45 mins at peak times
Brittany Ferries 15/16
Car* + 5 Passengers
|Mid-week - nil supplement||Weekend (Fri out & Sat in) - £22||6 hours crossing time - up to 3 departures/day|
|Extra passenger - £24. High car* - £28
* car above 1.83m – add to above supplements
On board accommodation has to be booked on overnight crossings with P&O Ferries from Portsmouth & Hull and Brittany Ferries, please enquire for cabin and Club Class seats prices
EXTRA CAR £210 RTN (reductions for ferries)
Please note that the supplements shown are calculated on the basis of our tour operator allocated space. Occasionally, space may not be available at these fares, in which case we may have to charge the operator's full brochure price. If this occurs, it will, of course, be made clear to you at the time of booking. The same operator must be used for the outward and return journey.
Miss the queues at the toll plazas and arrive at the ski resort first...
Sanef, the French motorway operator has now extended its Liber-t automatic toll payment service to UK motorists. To use the service all you need to do is register online and they will send you a small electronic transponder (or tag) that you attach to your windscreen just behind the rear-view mirror. As you approach the barriers, a device by the barrier will read your transponder (or tag), securely extract your unique reference and then automatically open the barrier without you having to stop.
Want to skips the queues? Sign up to Sanef.
Ski Drive: Snowchains (to buy or hire)
The weather in the mountains can be unpredictable and snowchains are a must when driving on mountain roads.
Receive 10% discount when you quote Peak Retreats with Polar Snowchains – 01892 519933