Experience a different summer holiday – discover the French Alps
The French Alps in summer remain one of the best-kept secrets. With plenty to keep you busy those looking for an active holiday will find a brilliant choice of activities whereas those in search of a more relaxing stay can discover the unspoilt environment, stunning scenery and glorious sunshine.
The astounding beauty of the mountains is hard to beat with their dramatic skyline of rugged peaks and glaciers, crystal clear mountain lakes and green meadows. You can even ski on the glaciers of Les Deux Alpes or Tignes!)
Some resorts offer up to 40 different lakes and mountains activities for adults and children of all ages alike.
The Alps in summer offers superb value for money, especially when compared to other favourite holiday destinations in France. We've listed some of our favourites, with price examples below. If you're ready to book your summer alpine holiday, call our Alpine specialists on 023 9283 9310. Alternatively, email firstname.lastname@example.org or request a quote.
So why visit the French Alps this Summer?
- Unspoilt traditional villages and towns away from huge crowds and mass tourism
- Experience the ‘real’ France with good food and wine at reasonable prices and that ‘Je ne sais quoi’ peace of life equal total relaxation
- Sunshine and temperatures 5-10°C higher than in the UK, always a bonus!
- Uncrowded and pollution free
- A vast amount of activities ranging from peaceful walks, family adventure areas and sunbathing to adrenalin pumping active pursuits such as white water rafting and bungee jumping
- Plenty to keep the kids busy with a real emphasis on family togetherness. Resorts have kids clubs and activities geared towards a fun-filled week (or two!)
- Bags full of accommodation of a superior standard, plenty of space for families yet with character
- Excellent value for money
Activities the French Alps has to offer
The vast and changing landscape of the French Alps provides the most fantastic scenery, clean fresh air, stunning mountains and crystal clear lakes. One can choose between the traditional holiday activities the French Alps can offer or the more challenging ones sure to get your adrenalin pumping! There are plenty of alpine rivers and lakes in the Alps that provide an endless playground for those of you who love water. The activities are for both adults and children, although some of the more adventurous activities may envisage a minimum age restriction. Of course, there is tuition and guidance to make your experience the best possible and in the safest way possible. Below is a list of a few activities on offer; there are just too many to list!
- Paragliding – see the alps from above…an exhilarating experience.
- Hydrospeed – using a float you ride the waves down a course steering with flippers.
- Potholing – explore to discover underground rivers, caverns and rock formations. All equipment is provided.
- Kids clubs – age varies with some geared for younger children and others for teenagers. Activities could include mountain climbing initiation and outdoor games. Each club is required to meet strict safety regulations and employ qualified staff so your children are in safe hands.
- Adventure parks – these are located in the tree canopy and both adults and children can take part. Strapped into a safety harness and suspended 15m above the ground you move between trees along the steel cable or perhaps just balancing over wooden trunks, it's great fun for all the family!
- Walking/hiking – want to experience the mountains from a substantial height? The ski lifts enable you to get there without wearing yourself out on the hike up. There are many pedestrian trails with signposts to keep you on track. Guides are also available in many resorts.
- Mountain biking – using the ski lifts (if you want) you can cycle around at altitude then off-road it back to the resort. Perfect for the experienced and extreme mountain biker, but there are also less intense routes for the novice!
- Mountaineering/Rock climbing – climb up and abseil down the rock face with the security of ropes and harnesses. Normal starting age is 8yrs.
- Via Ferrata – walking and rock climbing is involved in this activity with the challenge of getting around a course using fixed ropes, ladders etc with helmets and harnesses used for safety
- Summer ski – a couple of resorts in the French Alps offer summer skiing on their high altitude glaciers in July and August. Les Deux Alpes and Tignes are both open for summer skiers.
All prices include a standard return mid-week FlexiPlus Eurotunnel crossing with a standard car. For other dates and ferries please see our transport page.
Chalet Rose in Samoens, Grand Massif. Private outdoor pool shared between 3 apartments. From £229pp for 7 nights, based on 5 sharing Rose 1 in June.
Les Chalets d'Evian in Evian les Bains, Lake Geneva. Private complex outdoor pool with views over the lake. From £244pp for 7 nights, based on 5 sharing a 2 bedroom apartment in July.
Summer Ski option
Ours Blanc in Les 2 Alpes, Oisans. 4* residence. From £178pp for 7 nights, based on 5 sharing a 2 bedroom apartment in July.
Ready to book your summer holiday? You can browse all of our resorts online while you're here, call us on 023 9283 9310 or request a quote and we will find you the perfect Alpine holiday! Don't forget to sign up to our newsletter to get all the latest news and deals for both summer and winter in the French Alps.