We love summer skiing so here's our mini guide to skiing the French Alps glaciers during the summer months.
Trade in your swimsuit for your skis and enjoy the sunshine as well as your snow sport of choice. Summer skiing is ideal should you want to hone your skills and work on your technique, ready to welcome in the new winter season. This year, the glaciers open between June and August.
Where can I ski in summer in France?
Tignes and Les Deux Alpes offer some of the best glacier skiing in Europe. Ski in the morning and spend your afternoon trying water sports or exploring the local area, relaxing on terraces or eating the local cuisine.
Tignes is also home to one of the most innovative water parks, 'Acroland'. So if sunbathing isn't your thing, spend the afternoon at the 25-hectare lake in the heart of the resort! Try the 'The Blob Jump', the 'Lake Jumping Ramp' or the 'Hot Jumping Slide'. Think we have gone mad? Watch the video below!
Summer skiing in Tignes
Tignes is one of Europe's highest skiing areas and home to the glacier. The glacier offers 20km to ski during the summer months.
Usually, the glacier is open in June:
- 3 ski lifts are open: Funicular, TSD Vanoise & TK Rosolin chairlifts.
- Generally the ski area is open between 7.15am and 1pm (last lift down for the funicular: 1.30pm)
It has also been known to be open from July - August:
- Glacier lifts are open (depending on the snow conditions)
- Generally the ski area is open between 7.15am and 1pm (last lift down for the funicular: 4.35pm)
- The Snowpark is open
Pedestrians can also explore the glacier! Why not take a trip to the Panoramic restaurant? Enjoy the spectacular view which includes the famous peaks: Mont Pourri, ridges of the Grande Sassière, Grande Casse (highest point of La Vanoise: altitude of 3,856 metres) and of course the majestic Mont Blanc (in the distance).
For the most up-to-date information on summer activities in Tignes, visit the Tourist Office site.
Summer skiing in Les 2 Alpes
Les Deux Alpes is home to another French Alps glacier. The glacier sits at an altitude of 3600m! Traditionally, summer skiing is available between June and September.
- 17 ski lifts are open: 2 chairlifts, 8 ski tows, 2 gondolas, 1 cable car, 2 drag lifts, 1 funicular and 1 elevator
- Generally the ski area is open between 7.00am and 12.30pm
- 11 runs: 9 blue, 2 green and 1 red
Les Deux Alpes has a large snowpark with 2 half-pipes, hips quarters, boarder-cross, grind bars and jump modules plus music and barbecue, which will also be open.
For the most up-to-date information on summer activities in Les Deux Alpes, visit the Tourist Office site.